The directorate of scientific and postgraduate affairs coordinates all scientific affairs and higher education studies after undergraduate programs in the Sulaimani Polytechnic University (SPU). Postgraduate programs are actually resident in the various faculties and departments of SPU. This directorate operates under the division of the Vice President for Scientific and Postgraduate Affairs. The Directorate provides all scientific affairs SPU lectures and gives professional research support services to postgraduate students and their supervisors and coordinates postgraduate research endeavors in all faculties. The main function of the directorate is to coordinate all matters related to the provision of scientific affairs and higher education beyond the first degree. Doctorate, Master, and Specialties Programs.
The Mission of the Directorate of scientific and postgraduate studies is to promote and maintain the excellence of the scientific affairs and postgraduate programs offered by Sulaimani Polytechnic University. It is stimulating and planning new scientific affairs and postgraduate programs which link its surrounding community locally or globally with higher education. Our research and learning environment is unique and in line with our mainstream policy to create an excellent academic community for brighter education in the Iraqi Kurdistan region. The directorate’s main strategic plan is to work cooperatively and collaboratively with the faculty committees on research quality, Research Monitoring, Research Ethics, Research Development, and Higher Degrees.
The Directorate of scientific and postgraduate affairs arranges two main activities that are:
1st. Scientific Affairs
The activity of this department can be summarized as follows:
1. Follow up and supervise the process of offering academic titles to the university teaching staff.
2. Supervision of training courses on teaching methods for the teaching staff who belong to the university and those who belong to other channels as well.
3. Checking, writing, and archiving of the memorandums that concern scientific affairs.
4. Supervising the meetings of the Kurdistan journal of applied research editorial committee as well as the university academic promotions committee.
5. Supervising the evaluation of scientific research for the purpose of publication in the Kurdistan journal of applied research.
6. Construction of the terms and regulations for publishing scientific research in the Sulaimani Polytechnic University.
7. Supervision and archived the evaluation of the book editing process including academic, general, and research books.
8. Supervising book and Kurdistan journal of applied research printing.
9. Construction of terms and regulations for book editing and book printing.
2nd. Postgraduate affairs
it is responsible for the following activities:
1. Assist in the arrangement and preparation of the yearly postgraduate study plans.
2. Help in the implementation of postgraduate studies plans through the university faculties and departments.
3. Supervising and receiving all applications, sorting and consolidating them in preparation for the results, and announcing the names of the admitted students.
4. Delivering instructions, orders, and generalizations related to postgraduate affairs to the colleges at the university and answering their questions and comments.
5. Preparing the statistics and tables that belong to the postgraduate studies and students.
6. Answering the queries of postgraduate students and their complaints and observations in coordination with the Ministry of higher education and the University guidelines, throughout the academic year.
7. Documentation of the date of the postgraduate and save them electronically.
8. Regulating and issuing the postgraduate certificates and all forms.
Master at Sulaimani Polytechnic University:
Sulaimani Polytechnic University (SPU) is located in the city of Sulaimani in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. It is on the foothills of beautiful high mountains. The educational programs include both bachelor’s and master’s degrees and give the graduates a wide range of knowledge and skills that can lead to many careers, such as design, production, consulting, sales, management at various levels, teaching, and research. The master’s programs take an average of two years to complete, after the Bachelor’s degree, and lead to a Master of Science (MSc) degree in science programs and a Master of Art (MA) degree in Socials Sciences and Education programs. This portal provides all information related to Master Studies at SPU.
Guidelines to Obtain a Ph.D. with split-site Program:
First: Steps required before the announcement of academic seats:
The supervisor should write a detailed proposal and submit it to the competent scientific committee containing the following details:
1. Title of the research
2. Summary writing about the project for at least 75 words and no more than 120 words
3. Direct or indirect benefits of the research project for the Kurdistan region
4. Methods of implementation of the project
5. Project requirements, whether it is present in the host country or region
6. Courses or training necessary for the student
7. The whole details of the project budget:
The cost of the primary visit for both supervisors ( internal and external ) for the laboratory and the workplace to check on the availability of supplies needed for the success of their program
Needed expense to provide laboratory supplies in both countries
The tuition fee of the university (abroad)
transportation expenses for doctoral students abroad for four years
Student expenses for 3-6 months abroad to receive a language course if it was required + one year for the application of the research
Expenses visit of the internal supervisor two times a week.
Print thesis expenses
expenses of the internal and external assessment Committees
expenses of the committee(to discuss the doctorial thesis)
- external expenses for tuition fees abroad In terms of ( student salary abroad, tuition fees, student expenses abroad, and expenses of external supervisor visiting Kurdistan )must not exceed more than 50 000$.
- The internal supervisor will present a seminar to the Scientific Committee of the Section and the Section in its turn provides an answer in writing to the internal supervisor to decide whether to agree to supplement the research or not.
- When the internal supervisor receives a positive response, starts to hold official talks with the external supervisor, and the two will sign the proposal and submit it to the Commission in its final form
- In the case of a memorandum of understanding between the local university and the foreign university the application form of the foreign university will be filled and stamped by the foreign university, either in the absence of a memorandum of understanding, the foreign university submits a special application form contains the university approval for a year to conduct research at the university and the work of the external supervisor,and the use of laboratory
- Scientific Committee for the project, which was approved by the internal and external supervisors submit the project attached to the foreign university approval form and will present it through the graduate studies section to the competent Scientific Committee of the presidency of the University
- The Special Committee of the Ph. degree of split-system in the presidency of the university will review all the required documents, and in case there is any deficiency in the documents, it will submit a memorandum to the President of the University, who submits it to the Council of the League which declares its consent and announce the academic seats.
Second: Submission and Selection:
- The applicants will fill out the application form and present it with the required documents
- After review and audit the required documents, the relevant committee will set a date for the interview
- The head of the Department of Science and the internal and external supervisors as well as the specialist professor to the substance project, with higher education official will conduct an interview with the candidates, and the highest grade will be selected, in case if the external supervisor could not attend, the interview will be conducted through video or audio conference.
- After the announcement of the acceptance of the candidate, a contract will be signed between the student and the university in the law section of the university presidency the contract determines the rights and responsibilities of both sides.
- If the government is financed the student, the student must submit a support letter from his ministry, college, or directorate or from his place of work in the private sector, and, if the candidate was unable to the conclusion of a contract during the month, the candidate Reserve will be replaced
- To be able to finance students, the universities should allocate funds in the fields of other expenses or missions
- A university order issue the initiation of the student, accordingly an administrative order will issue by the college, and the student will be recorded in the scientific section.
Fourth: How to finance the project
- Open a bank account for the project in the presidency of the university,where it is deposited and cashed in four years
- the payment will be according to the items of the research
- For the payment of any sum of money, the internal supervisor and according to the recommendations will submit a proposal to the presidency of the university which reviews the request, and the money will be paid when the president of the university signs the request.
- the University can switch places of the items of the project expenses
Fifth: Rights and duties of the supervisor
- Three extra PhDs lectures will be calculated for both internal and external supervisors (3*3) a week, in addition to the formal sustainable lectures and excluding the percentage specified for the calculation of lectures.
- The internal Supervisor will be responsible for the follow-up project in all its aspects
Sixth: Follow-up and qualitative assurance
- the student has two files , one is kept in the college and the other in the presidency of the university, both sides are responsible for monitoring the project’s progress
- quality assurance process will be conducted according to the reforme recommendation of higher education and scientific research of Kurdistan Region of p4,2010.